This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policyX

Housing Benefit - Universal Credit

Paying rent and other accommodation costs can be expensive, especially if you are on a low income or benefits. Housing benefit and council tax benefit may help you meet some of these costs.

If you are under 18:

If you’re under 18, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sign a tenancy contract or mortgage agreement.

If you’re 16 or 17 and homeless, you’ll usually be provided with accommodation by Children’s Services at your local council. This is because you’ll be considered a ‘child in need’.

Children’s Services will also consider if there’s any way you can return home or go and live with another relative. They can’t force you to go back somewhere you don’t feel safe.

What a ‘child in need’ is

You’re a ‘child in need’ if you’re under 18 and:

  • you’re living with a violent person
  • you don’t have money for food
  • you don’t have anywhere to live
  • you have problems that affect your health or education (eg you’re disabled)
  • your home is uninhabitable (eg there’s been a fire or flood)

Housing Benefit & Universal Credit

  • Your right to benefits is very limited. If you are living in rented accommodation (a bed-sit or room in rented accommodation) but not with a close relative you may be able to claim housing benefit.

Otherwise you might be able to claim Universal Credit - to be elibible you must meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • you have limited capability for work or you have medical evidence and are waiting for a Work Capability Assessment
  • you’re caring for a severely disabled person
  • you’re responsible for a child
  • you’re in a couple with responsibility for at least one child and your partner is eligible for Universal Credit
  • you’re pregnant and it’s 11 weeks or less before your expected week of childbirth
  • you’ve had a child in the last 15 weeks
  • you do not have parental support, for example you’re estranged from your parents and you’re not under local authority care

If you are over 18:

  • You can make a claim for housing benefit if you are living in TEMPORARY accommodation and are on low income or benefits 

Otherwise you might be able to claim Universal Credit - to be elibible you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • you’re on a low income or out of work
  • you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17 see above)
  • you and your partner have Ł16,000 or less in savings between you
  • you live in the UK

There is lots of information on the CHS Group website about help and supprt with housing for young people aged 16 to 25 years.

For help and advice, please contact your local Youth Support Centre.

Related Pages Other Sites Contacts

Sorry, no downloads found.

Featured Links